Harris Tweed is probably the best known of all the products of Lewis and Harris. The hard wearing, and now fashionable again cloth, has been woven in the homes of the islanders of Lewis, Harris, Uist and Barra for hundreds of years. Originally called Clo Mhor in Gaelic, meaning ‘the big cloth’, its potential was realised by Lady Dunmore in 1846, when she had local weavers copy the Murray tartan in Tweed. After the huge success of this venture, she improved the process and marketed the product to her friends. Today, the high quality cloth can be viewed all over the world.